Facilitation & Marley

The Book Cover

I have just read the book Marley & Me by John Grogan, and thoroughly enjoyed it. There is also a film of the same name, which does a pretty good job of presenting Marley's story.

So, what can a Facilitator learn from Marley?


Towards the end of the book John Grogan writes (page 401):
Was it possible for a dog - any dog, but especially a nutty, wildly uncontrollable one like ours - to point humans to the things that really matter in life? I believed it was. Loyalty. Courage. Devotion. Simplicity. Joy.
The process of facilitation is sometimes a rollercoaster ride - like being out with Marley. You are not sure what is around the next corner, and that is both scary and exhilarating. But beneath the fear should be a solid foundation.

The foundation includes loyalty (commitment to the client) and simplicity (goals and a basic roadmap for the session); and even courage (to get up and do this job) and joy (when things click into place after all the hard work). Devotion is a tricky one to account for, but I'm sure it is there with my long-term clients. I am certainly devoted to their success, and my facilitation is a tool to accomplish that.


So there you have it. Marley & me, & all of you too!


...Geoff
www.performancepeople.com.au